The point in me starting this blog is to really document my battle with gastroparesis or just GP. I've only been diagnosed with the last year really, and before that I went undiagnosed and sick for about another year. It's been a miserable ride, but I am thankful that my flare up's are usually cured with a hospital stay and lot's of IV meds. But there are also the times I'm sick and throwing up on a daily basis for weeks at a time. Currently I am in a "good" time controlled by meds and a very limited diet.
I spent 4 days in the hospital just a couple weeks ago when my flare up turned bad. I had been throwing up for 2 days when I was unable to even keep water down. At this point I became dehydrated and had to go to the hospital. At the time they admitted me I also had a major panic attack with chest pain, so I had to go through many, many blood draws to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack (which I didn't). I was there for 4 days getting IV fluids and anti nausea meds in my IV. Finally with Reglan I've been able to stop throwing up and can eat semi normal, even though I don't have a big appetite ever.
P.S. Even though this blog is about GP, I'm going to let my blog post wander like my mind! Scary though haha I'm going to blog a little bit of everything =)
Here is the definition of gastroparesis according to
Medtronic.
Definition
Gastroparesis is a stomach disorder in which food is digested more slowly than normal. In a healthy digestive system, strong muscular contractions move food from the stomach through the digestive tract. With gastroparesis, however, the stomach muscles work poorly (or not at all), thus preventing the stomach from emptying properly. For some people, this condition results in serious nausea and vomiting that cannot be adequately controlled with standard medications.
No comments:
Post a Comment